Going With The Flow

The decision to go cruising comes with lots of changes.  Things break, new items don’t fit, and you lose your dock space due to circumstances outside your control.  In other words, stuff happens.  The only thing you CAN control is your response to the event or crisis.

barge

Offensive barge blocking access to canal

We were to splash back into the water last Thursday after a haul out, bottom paint, and getting some work done on Mahi.  The night before, we received word that a very large barge was anchored outside the canal, blocking our only deep water access to the canal and dock.

In other words, we can’t take Mahi back to the dock space due to this barge.  Marine Patrol was called, the owner of the barge tracked down, and the bottom line is he refused to move it.   Marine Patrol said it was not their jurisdiction.  So that put us in a bit of a pickle.

12195033_161051114246105_5613568511187493715_o

Mahi waiting to be re-launched

We were able to keep the boat at the yard, but that costs us extra money each day.  So now we are scrambling like mad to find new dock space or a marina to park our boat while we finish the work.

We have two potential options, with calls out to several dockmasters at local marinas.  Only problem is that the Fort Lauderdale Boat Show is going on, so everywhere is full.

One potential dock space is in a canal next to our current one.  But the charts suggest it may be too shallow for the draft of our boat.  This means that we pull out our handy inflatable kayak, pump it up, and with a handheld depth sounder, map out the canal depth to ensure we do not run aground.

If this doesn’t work, we have one more canal we can check out, plus visit several marinas and talk to all the dockmasters in person.  One way or another, we will figure out where to take our boat.

In cruising, you must “go with the flow,” so to speak.  Unanticipated things happens and you must adjust and look for potential solutions.  I promise to keep you posted as to what we do and how we resolve this.

9 comments for “Going With The Flow

1. November 7, 2015 at 5:49 pm

Well, Crapola!! That stinks!! It’s time for you to get this show on the road!!

Liked by 1 person

• November 7, 2015 at 6:16 pm

Yes, I totally agree! We so want to head off, but current work needs to get done!

Liked by 1 person

2. November 7, 2015 at 6:30 pm

ho hum, another day at the office, no?

Liked by 1 person

• November 7, 2015 at 11:45 pm

Oh yes! I’m sure you had many days like that, no? 🙂

3. farmquilter
    November 7, 2015 at 8:24 pm

I guess you run into rude people everywhere…however, I have found that when there are delays placed in my way, I end up avoiding a really bad situation!! Keeps the blood pressure down when I realize that. Sure hope you find the perfect docking situation ASAP!!

Liked by 1 person

• November 7, 2015 at 11:47 pm

I think we have possibly found a new dock!! Stay tuned! 🙂

4. Teddie Egeline
    November 9, 2015 at 7:49 am

Hi Carla~~
    I haven’t been following your blog but that doesn’t mean I haven’t been thinking about you. You and your family are in my thoughts often. I’m thinking of you far away and making many new exciting memories. What a joy! Do you have a current e-mail? I’d like to ask you a quilting question. Best wishes, Teddie

• November 9, 2015 at 12:10 pm